Valve decided that it should rework the weapon accuracy. They started with three most popular weapons, AK-47, M4A1 and M4A4. All weapons should receive accuracy tweaks, and it will be done during the next couple of weeks, we don’t know how this move will reflect on the game, since the first patch went live just a couple of days ago. But, as we all know, CS: GO community is huge, always adapting to changes since the game went out four years ago. It’s interesting that this big accuracy rework started almost exactly four years after the game first hit the market, maybe Valve plans to bring some exciting new content as well; it would be nice after all.
So, the first weapons to receive accuracy tweaks are AK-47, M4A1 and M4A4. There are many factors going into accuracy but the parameter being tweaked is Accuracy Recovery Rate. Accuracy Recovery Rate is in other words, time at which weapon accuracy goes back to its baseline value. You know, it means how fast the weapon will return to its core accuracy after you take a couple of shots. Since there are a couple different styles of firing weapons, Valve wants to make each style to differently impact the accuracy.
The style that will get more accurate is burst fire (tapping), and by looking at the chart below, you can see how tap firing AK-47 will become noticeably more accurate. This is not surprising, since the best way of utilizing most weapons is shooting in bursts.
Another chart below shows how from now on, going full auto will make the weapon more accurate during the start of spray, but as you can see, holding down the button will eventually make weapon less accurate (see end of the graph where accuracy gets less accurate the longer you hold down the key).
The good thing is that when spraying, you’ll get accurate shots at the beginning, meaning that many people will have more chances of hitting enemies, but if they just keep firing, accuracy will soon get horrendous.
When (and if) all this goes well, Valve plans on giving other weapons the update, also making burst fire more accurate. It’s worth mentioning that algorithms used for the last December’s infamous patch aren’t used this time, they built the new system from grounds up. For the complete list of changes in the patch, scroll down.
– New accuracy recovery method and new recovery rates for the M4A1-S, M4A4, and AK-47.
– Increased fidelity of firing sounds for P250, Five-Seven, Tec-9, CZ75-Auto, and Dual Berettas.
– Added unique reload and distant sounds for P250, Five-Seven, Tec-9, and Dual Berettas.
– Added defusekit player state to game state integration support.
–cl_weapon_debug_print_accuracy 2 is now a tab delimited formatted output of information.
– Fix a bug that rarely caused a player to be on the wrong team in competitive mode.
– Fix a bug that allowed players to spawn in unexpected (invalid) locations on various maps.
– Added logic to prevent airstalling (where a player appears to float in midair by disrupting their network stream).
– Added sv_clamp_unsafe_velocities convar (default: 1) that community servers can disable to support surfing, etc.
– Misc security improvements.
– Modified report and commend GC logic to clearly signal failure in the case of spoofed reports.
Written by Goran Damnjanovic